Saturday, July 01, 2006

Scary Diaper

Abby's had some pretty scary diapers before, you know, the kind you're afraid to open. But yesterday morning she had one that was pretty frightening. Brian was changing her diaper and discovered a quarter-sized amount of blood in the front of her diaper. We called the nurse who got us in to see the doctor later that morning. The doctor was really perplexed, because it wasn't mixed with her urine, as you would see if there were a kidney problem. (I know I'm being graphic, sorry.) And she didn't have any other symptoms. So he did a catheter to gather a urine sample and then sent us to the hospital next door for a ultrasound.

Abby was such a good baby. She giggled throughout the catheter, which the nurses said has never happened before, and she was very patient during the 30 minute ultrasound. We got the results of the ultra sound while we were there, and they came back showing everything to be normal. The doctor thinks that it was a fluke thing. It is normal for new newborns to have patches of blood in their urine, because they are still flushing out their systems from the birth, but a baby her age should be way past that. We haven't gotten the full urine analysis back yet, but the doctor tested her urine in his office and said everything looked clear and normal.

The doc. sent us through STAT so we didn't have to wait for anything, thankfully! He assured us that everything was probably okay, but I'm glad we didn't have to draw this out over a couple of days. It only took a little over two hours from the time we got to the doctor to the time we left the hospital with the results. Although I wasn't extremely worried, I NEVER want to go through anything like that again with any of my babies! We're so grateful that everything is okay.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Wow, Mandie, that IS scary stuff! I'm glad her tests were normal, and I hope that never happens again! Hey, aren't you the one that's supposed to have kids that give you great fright, or something like that?