About 2 months ago Brian expressed concern that Abby didn't respond to him when he called her and he wondered if she was hearing well. I didn't think much of it because she seemed to respond to me. Besides, she had passed her birth hearing test and she is very verbal and social and I know for a fact that she has heard us clearly in the past. But at her 15 month appointment last month, the doctor started asking about her speech and we discovered that she was behind her peers. BUT he never mentioned that hearing might be an issue. I talked to my sister Ginny, who is a speech pathologist, about Abby's speech delays and she asked if we had her hearing checked recently. We hadn't, but it got me thinking, and for the next week or two I started noticing that she didn't respond when I called to her, and that maybe she wasn't hearing as well as we thought. So today we took Abby to an ENT and they did several tests and discovered a great amount of fluid in her ears, along with a significant hearing loss of 55 decibles. Most people speak at about 40-45 decibles, so she wasn't even picking up normal conversation. (Oh! That makes me so sad!) It's common practice for doctors to wait for children to have six or more ear infections or fluid in the ear for more than 6 weeks before they consider putting tubes in their ears. But considering that this is affecting her speech development, the doctor suggested we do the procedure now. And since we're having a baby on the 21st, they scheduled her surgery for Friday morning. I am SO grateful for that!
So *hopefully* once all the fluid is cleared, she should be able to hear 100% again. However, because she has such a significant hearing loss, the doctor says its possible that she might also have minimal hearing loss due to an inner ear problem. We won't be able to determine that until we get the tubes in.
It makes me so sad that she hasn't been able to hear us and that she's gone for months with this problem and we didn't do anything about it. But according to many people we've talked to, we picked up on it pretty fast. Most people don't notice it until they are 2 or three years old and then they're really developmentally delayed. I just hope and pray that everything will be okay. I would like to wish that her full hearing will be restored, but we can handle a little hearing loss. Abby's a trooper and no matter what, she'll be a successful, normal, happy child.
8 comments:
I hope the surgery goes well! Abby is in my thoughts for sure!
I am so glad that you all got on top of this... you are such a good mom! I imagine that you feel like you should have caught it sooner but I really think it is amazing that you all got it so early. You are in our prayers. If you need anything, just let us know. I would love to bring you dinner. :-)
Good detective work. We will remember Abby in our prayers. I am sure that Abby will do great. Please update us on how the procedure goes.
I think you caught it very early! The problem is as mother's we always think that we should have "found something sooner...or done something better." We are only human. Although I am sure my first reaction for myself would be the way you feel. At least you are getting this all done before your lil' boy arrives. I will be thinking about you guys on Friday.
Hi - I'm Corgan's Nana. I know you are feeling sad for Abby, but remember, blessings come these things also. I do hope that the tubes in her ears will take care of the problem, that would be the easiest solution, but, if not, then so much can be done to help her. Kelly is a good one to talk to. And, don't feel guilty. Now that you do know about the problem, you know that you will do whatever you have to so that Abby can get the help she needs.
I am sure the procedure will go just fine, and that her hearing will be 100%! keeping her in our prayers!
I can totally understand and relate to what you are going through. Number one, realize IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! Number two, Abby is going to be just fine. It sounds to me like she may just have the hearing loss due to the fluid build up and will probably be great after the tubes are put in. If not, you're going to be great. I promise. Give me a call or shoot me an email so we can get into this more. Just know that I'm here for you and praying for you guys! And GREAT JOB with finding out early!!!! Early intervention is sooo huge! You guys rock!!! ;)
I'm glad you caught it so soon. It's so hard to know when something is wrong at this age and that's great you were so intune that you realized something wasn't quite right. I'm sure everything will go well with the surgery. Good thing it's before you had the baby. Let me know what I can do to help.
Post a Comment