Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cedar Chest

After my grandpa passed away my family went through and divided his estate, and I was lucky enough to get this! It's a very old cedar chest with the price tag still on it. It's from the art-deco period, so I'm guessing it's around 60 to 70 years old. It's emmaculate on the inside, but the outside needs some work. Because it's so perfect on the inside, I wonder if we should refinish it, because it decreases in value when it's been altered. But it already looks like someone did a crap job of refinishing it already, plus, we don't ever plan on selling it. We want to make it beautiful so we can pass it on to our kids.

Anyway, Brian and I are looking forward to refinishing it. We'll keep you posted on the progress.



Don't you love the "Moth Insurance?"

I wonder how much $32.50 was back then?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW! What an awesome piece to get:) Hummmmm it would be fun to try and find out how much $32.50 was back then. I am sure it was A LOT!

Kelly said...

How awesome is that to still have the price tag on there! Wow!!!!

Stephanie said...

Hey, yes, I took that pic of my husband, but he did the tweaking. He is the photo shop king. I wish I could figure it out.
Your chest is beautiful! I love it!
In my chest, there is a hole and it looks like particle board is in between. So that would explain why the inside of mine is beautiful cedar like yours, but the outside was totally differant. So I just wanted to give you a heads up if you refinish it, if it is like mine, it wont look like the inside.
I'd love to see after pics if you do it.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Oh boy, I've had my share of refinishing....I'll never do it again :) But it's worth it in the end. I hope to get my grandma's chest when she passes.

Anonymous said...

I love chests, I have two and I put my babys things in there, like the clothes they wore after they were born and their baby blankets. I just keep adding special things to it like Evans outfit when he was sealed to us in the temple. There are so many nice things in there, that's a nice chest you have maybe you could do the same thing for Abbys things.