Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The BIG DAY


Abby and Carter got their hearing aids this afternoon. So everyone that has had experience with hearing aids has told me that it might take a while for the kids to get used to them, which means a lot of fighting the kids to keep their hearing aids on. So needless to day, I've been really nervous about today. I was expecting Carter to pull them right off, and I thought Abby might be more accepting of them, but actually they both did really well! They kept them on the whole hour we were there, and then Abby wore them for a while before bed. This is a good thing!

Abby was so cute when they put hers on for the first time. She giggled and thought it was really cool. She almost immediately started making more sounds and talking with more articulation than I have heard in a long time. It was awesome, but I wasn't expecting it! The audiologist did not put their hearing aids at full volume just yet (which is normal) because we want them to get used to the fit of the hearing aids first and slowly adjust to the sound. It will be about a month before Abby is at full volume and a little less for Carter. So, no, they can't miraculously hear the minute they put them on. It will even take a while for them to understand what some of the sounds are because they may have never heard them before. This is a long process, but I am so exited for my babies!
Thank you, Mom and Bunny, for coming with us!


11 comments:

Conny said...

I will be surprised if you have those sorts of problems. I think they will love them because they will be able to hear. The only problem I know of is that loud noises (airplanes, bangs, etc.) can be so loud as to cause pain when one is wearing a hearing aid. Congratulations on the big day!

molly said...

That's so awesome! Glad they both did so well!!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your kids!!!

leah said...

I was searching hearing aids on Google and found your blog- congrats on the new hearing aids. I often wonder about my older little guy because he has terrible articulation and my little one has a moderate hearing loss (rising to mild).

randivon said...

That is so great! I am way excited for you and more so for you kiddo's. Congrats!

Jenny said...

OH MY GOSH, that is so awesome! I love that Abby's already trying to experiment with sounds, etc! And those pictures completely capture the moment

Jami said...

That is wonderful! I'm so excited for them. That last picture of Abby is too cute.

Hohmann Family said...

Isn't it great that Heavenly Father gave them both personalities that seem to be handling this so wonderfully? You have adorable and strong kids. I used to think that Rebekah had pretty blonde hair, but Abby has her beat!

Conny said...

What great fun it was yesterday to watch both Abby and Carter in church. It was wonderful to see the enthralled expressions on their faces during the special musical number. You could see that this was a new experience for them and that they were eating it up!

Ginny said...

Abby's face says it all!

Kelly said...

Corgan started cracking up when they turned his on for the first time... How exciting for them!!!