Well, Labor Day started out great. We went to the lake with family and some friends to play in the water and jet ski and we had a great time. After we were done I put Carter in the car and sat in the front seat, but then saw that Brian needed help packing the car, so I went to get out of the car and pop, my knee locked into place.
Back up six years: I was training for a marathon then and was running about 25 miles a week, so that, along with the bad knee gene from my dad, weakened my cartilidge. One night I was at a party at a friends house and we got in this huge pillow fight, with teams, baracades, points, you know, the whole thing. (can you tell guys were involved?) anyway, I went to hit someone and stepped wrong on a pillow and twisted my knee. Right then my weakened cartilidge tore and the twisting motion caused it to fold in half and lock my knee in place. The only way to fix that is to do arthroscopic surgery. They sewed up the cartilidge, I healed, and my knee eventually went back to normal.
I know that at some point I reinjured it because my knee has popped out of place several times since then, but I've always been able to somehow get it to unlock. But not this time. It's locked at a 90 degree angle and I can only get it to move up and down about 10 degrees or so, and I definitely can't put any weight on it. My knee really hurts and my whole leg is under some serious stress. So we were able to get an appointment today (which is a miracle) with an orthopedic surgeon and an MRI confirmed that I did have a torn meniscus, so he scheduled me for knee surgery tomorrow at 1:30 (which is an even GREATER miracle).
So the surgery can go two ways. They can repair the cartilidge and I will have to be in crutches for six weeks. SIX WEEKS? No walking without them. OR they could go in and see that my cartilidge is unrepairable, and in that case they would remove the cartilidge completely. Since there would be nothing to heal, I would be able to walk as soon as I feel I am able, BUT because there is no cartilidge there to protect the joint, I would not be able to run again, EVER. I could walk, bike swim and other low impact exercises though. And later in life I might have a greater chance at having arthritis in that knee. So I don't know which way I would prefer it to go. Being in crutches for six weeks with two little kids will be miserable. But having limits placed on my physical abilites doesn't sound too appealing either. But its really out of my hands, so we'll just have to see.
Oh, and to make it worse, Abby and Carter both have diahrrea. Thank goodness Brian is healthy. So pray for me and our little family, and I will keep you posted.
Oh, and if this post doesn't completely make sense, I'm blaming it on the muscle relaxers.
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I will be praying! I have a bad knee also so I can sympathize!
Sorry about the knee...I have seen plenty of people with that problem. Let me know if you have any questions that the doctor didn't explain for you (they usually don't do such a great job of explaining).
Amy
Mandie--You poor thing! I will include you in my prayers.....and pray that your kiddos get well and stay well while you recover!
Wow. Isn't it about time you got a break? I think you should petition for one. :) We'll keep you in our prayers.
You don't have a reorganization in the bishopric or RS presidency coming up any time soon do you? Because all of this just sounds like trials to get your ready for big stuff. Okay... that is probably not so helpful right now. I do hope that the surgery goes well. We will be praying for you. Please let me know what I can do (or pass word through the grapevine). Love ya!
Oh, Mandie! Life really sucks sometimes, doesn't it? I hope the surgery goes well today and DO NOT hesitate to call if you need ANYTHING! We will keep you and your family in our prayers.
Oh no!!! I am sorry, just remember I am here, so if you need help just call!!! I also would like to help with meals,i WILL CALL YOU THIS WEEK ABOUT THAT.
Oh Mandie, that sucks and sounds like it hurts a lot. I'm always free so don't be afraid to call me if you need help with the kids while you are recovering.
I am so sorry to hear about your knee. I hope that you heal quickly. Kenny and I will keep you in our prayers. Just tonight a friend and I were discussing how we are greatful to live in todays world than during the time of pioneers. This is yet another reason why I love modern medicine. Best of luck.
Holy cow girl--is your middle name Jobette? You're in our prayers.
We are all thinking of you, Mama Job, and hoping for a quick recovery. By the way, proper spelling is cartilage. (I misspelled it earlier, too, so I looked it up. The old Proofreader Syndrome!)
Good luck. We'll keep you in our prayers.
Post a Comment